Oct 17, 2018 | SMHA | 530 views
Novice and Below Information
"HOW A PLAYER GETS THAT FIRST TASTE OF HOCKEY IS CRUCIAL."
Hockey Canada has established national guidelines to ensure optimal development of hockey players at this crucial introductory stage.
Game play at the Novice age-group and below will be Cross/Half-ice effective 2019-20
Programming in the Ontario Hockey Federation, which Ontario Minor Hockey is a member, will be implemented as follows:
- Effective 2017-18 - Game play for the Initiation age-group (5 & 6 year-olds) will be Cross-Ice
- Effective 2018-19 - Game play for the Tyke age-group (7 year-olds) will be Half-Ice.
- Effective 2019-20 - Game play for the Novice age-group (8 year-olds) will be Half-Ice during the first half of the season and transition to Full-Ice during the second half of the season.
The goals and objectives of Initiation & Novice hockey programming are to:
OMHA has created an interesting video from the child's view please click link below to view
- Teach all of the basic skills of hockey so players can enjoy the game
- Assist in the development and enhancement of physical literacy and basic motor patterns
- Develop and encourage the concepts of being a team member through player participation in both on-ice and off-ice activities,
- Encourage the aspects of fitness, fair play and co-operation while having fun playing the game.
- Age-Appropriate - Designed practice and game play that is appropriate to the age, size and skill level of the participant